Sodium citrate is a salt composed of citric acid and sodium ions. It is produced commercially by the neutralization of citric acid with sodium hydroxide. Sodium citrate is used as a food additive and in pharmaceuticals
How To Make Sodium Citrate
Sodium citrate is a salt that is used to make buffers. When dissolved in water, it can take on either a proton (H+) or a hydroxide (OH-) ion, depending on the pH of the solution. This makes it a useful tool for adjusting the pH of solutions. Sodium citrate can also be used as a food additive to regulate acidity and improve flavor.
-Stove -Sodium Bicarbonate -Water -Citric Acid
- Add the citric acid to a beaker
- Add water and stir until the citric acid has dissolved
- Weigh out the desired amount of citric acid
- Weigh out the desired amount of sodium
– To make sodium citrate, dissolve 1.5 teaspoons of citric acid in 1/2 cup of water. Add 1/2 teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and stir to combine. If the solution is too acidic, add more baking soda until the pH reaches 7.0. If it is too alkaline, add more citric acid until the pH reaches 6.0. – Sodium citrate can be used as a food additive to
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Make Sodium Citrate With Lemon Juice?
Yes. Sodium citrate can be prepared by mixing sodium carbonate and citric acid. The resulting solution will be slightly alkaline and can be used to adjust the pH of food or beverages.
What Makes Up Sodium Citrate?
A white, crystalline compound that is soluble in water and used to make buffer solutions, sodium citrate is the sodium salt of citric acid. It is used as a food additive to retard spoilage and as a preservative. Sodium citrate is also used in kidney dialysis and to treat metabolic alkalosis.
Is Sodium Citrate A Compound?
Sodium citrate is a compound that is made up of sodium, carbon, and oxygen.
Taking Everything Into Account
Sodium citrate is a white, odorless, crystalline powder that is soluble in water. It is used to make effervescent drinks, as a food additive, and in some pharmaceuticals. Sodium citrate can also be used to clean the household drains.